A national cross-sectional survey on time-trends for endovascular repair of genetically-triggered aortic disease and connective tissue disorders over two decades

Study Collaborators

Research output: Contribution to journal/Conference contribution in journal/Contribution to newspaperJournal articleResearchpeer-review

Abstract

BACKGROUND: By this survey, we aim to gain national-based information regarding trends in endovascular repair (ER) for the treatment of aortic disease in patients with genetically-triggered aortic disease (GTAD) and connective tissue disorder (CTD) over the last two decades.

METHODS: All Italian vascular surgery centers (N.=80) were invited to participate in an anonymous electronic cross-sectional survey on ER for GTAD/CTD.

RESULTS: Overall, 29 institutions completed the survey, thereby yielding a 36% response rate. The percentage of responding institutions rises to 64% if only regional hubs were considered (23/36). The median number of index procedures per center was 6.2, and a steady increase in the overall number of interventions over time was also noted. Most patients were males (73%) with a median age of 48 years. The most common endovascular procedure was TEVAR (N.=101), followed by F/BEVAR (N.=43) and EVAR (N.=37). The overall technical success rate was 83.4% while major adverse events and mortality at thirty days were reported at 18.2% and 9.9%, respectively. An additional 5.0% mortality rate was noted for an overall one-year mortality of 14.9%, while 3.7% of all treated patients were diagnosed with a type 1 endoleak.

CONCLUSIONS: This national cross-sectional survey, investigating trends in ER of GTADs and CTDs over two decades, highlights a consistent increase in the use of endovascular techniques for their treatment. Early mortality was acceptably low, yet influenced by the urgency of presentation. At one-year follow-up, a 5% additional death rate was noted, and the reintervention rate remained below one in ten.

Original languageEnglish
JournalThe Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery
ISSN0021-9509
DOIs
Publication statusE-pub ahead of print - 14 Mar 2024

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'A national cross-sectional survey on time-trends for endovascular repair of genetically-triggered aortic disease and connective tissue disorders over two decades'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this