Aarhus Universitets segl

Weighing stars from birth to death: mass determination methods across the HRD

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskrift/Konferencebidrag i tidsskrift /Bidrag til avisReviewForskningpeer review

Standard

Weighing stars from birth to death : mass determination methods across the HRD. / Serenelli, Aldo; Weiss, Achim; Aerts, Conny et al.

I: Astronomy and Astrophysics Review, Bind 29, Nr. 1, 4, 12.2021.

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskrift/Konferencebidrag i tidsskrift /Bidrag til avisReviewForskningpeer review

Harvard

Serenelli, A, Weiss, A, Aerts, C, Angelou, GC, Baroch, D, Bastian, N, Beck, PG, Bergemann, M, Bestenlehner, JM, Czekala, I, Elias-Rosa, N, Escorza, A, Van Eylen, V, Feuillet, DK, Gandolfi, D, Gieles, M, Girardi, L, Lebreton, Y, Lodieu, N, Martig, M, Miller Bertolami, MM, Mombarg, JSG, Morales, JC, Moya, A, Nsamba, B, Pavlovski, K, Pedersen, MG, Ribas, I, Schneider, FRN, Silva Aguirre, V, Stassun, KG, Tolstoy, E, Tremblay, PE & Zwintz, K 2021, 'Weighing stars from birth to death: mass determination methods across the HRD', Astronomy and Astrophysics Review, bind 29, nr. 1, 4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00159-021-00132-9

APA

Serenelli, A., Weiss, A., Aerts, C., Angelou, G. C., Baroch, D., Bastian, N., Beck, P. G., Bergemann, M., Bestenlehner, J. M., Czekala, I., Elias-Rosa, N., Escorza, A., Van Eylen, V., Feuillet, D. K., Gandolfi, D., Gieles, M., Girardi, L., Lebreton, Y., Lodieu, N., ... Zwintz, K. (2021). Weighing stars from birth to death: mass determination methods across the HRD. Astronomy and Astrophysics Review, 29(1), [4]. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00159-021-00132-9

CBE

Serenelli A, Weiss A, Aerts C, Angelou GC, Baroch D, Bastian N, Beck PG, Bergemann M, Bestenlehner JM, Czekala I, et al. 2021. Weighing stars from birth to death: mass determination methods across the HRD. Astronomy and Astrophysics Review. 29(1):Article 4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00159-021-00132-9

MLA

Vancouver

Serenelli A, Weiss A, Aerts C, Angelou GC, Baroch D, Bastian N et al. Weighing stars from birth to death: mass determination methods across the HRD. Astronomy and Astrophysics Review. 2021 dec.;29(1):4. doi: 10.1007/s00159-021-00132-9

Author

Serenelli, Aldo ; Weiss, Achim ; Aerts, Conny et al. / Weighing stars from birth to death : mass determination methods across the HRD. I: Astronomy and Astrophysics Review. 2021 ; Bind 29, Nr. 1.

Bibtex

@article{e960d97a0b3b4f8a9723d37ad3155fc9,
title = "Weighing stars from birth to death: mass determination methods across the HRD",
abstract = "The mass of a star is the most fundamental parameter for its structure, evolution, and final fate. It is particularly important for any kind of stellar archaeology and characterization of exoplanets. There exist a variety of methods in astronomy to estimate or determine it. In this review we present a significant number of such methods, beginning with the most direct and model-independent approach using detached eclipsing binaries. We then move to more indirect and model-dependent methods, such as the quite commonly used isochrone or stellar track fitting. The arrival of quantitative asteroseismology has opened a completely new approach to determine stellar masses and to complement and improve the accuracy of other methods. We include methods for different evolutionary stages, from the pre-main sequence to evolved (super)giants and final remnants. For all methods uncertainties and restrictions will be discussed. We provide lists of altogether more than 200 benchmark stars with relative mass accuracies between [0.3 , 2] % for the covered mass range of M∈[0.1,16]M⊙, 75 % of which are stars burning hydrogen in their core and the other 25 % covering all other evolved stages. We close with a recommendation how to combine various methods to arrive at a “mass-ladder” for stars.",
keywords = "Asteroseismology, Galaxy: stellar content, Methods: numerical, Stars: binaries: eclipsing, Stars: evolution, Stars: fundamental parameters, Stars: planetary systems",
author = "Aldo Serenelli and Achim Weiss and Conny Aerts and Angelou, {George C.} and David Baroch and Nate Bastian and Beck, {Paul G.} and Maria Bergemann and Bestenlehner, {Joachim M.} and Ian Czekala and Nancy Elias-Rosa and Ana Escorza and {Van Eylen}, Vincent and Feuillet, {Diane K.} and Davide Gandolfi and Mark Gieles and L{\'e}o Girardi and Yveline Lebreton and Nicolas Lodieu and Marie Martig and {Miller Bertolami}, {Marcelo M.} and Mombarg, {Joey S.G.} and Morales, {Juan Carlos} and Andr{\'e}s Moya and Benard Nsamba and Kre{\v s}imir Pavlovski and Pedersen, {May G.} and Ignasi Ribas and Schneider, {Fabian R.N.} and {Silva Aguirre}, Victor and Stassun, {Keivan G.} and Eline Tolstoy and Tremblay, {Pier Emmanuel} and Konstanze Zwintz",
note = "Publisher Copyright: {\textcopyright} 2021, The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany, part of Springer Nature. Copyright: Copyright 2021 Elsevier B.V., All rights reserved.",
year = "2021",
month = dec,
doi = "10.1007/s00159-021-00132-9",
language = "English",
volume = "29",
journal = "Astronomy and Astrophysics Review",
issn = "0935-4956",
publisher = "Springer",
number = "1",

}

RIS

TY - JOUR

T1 - Weighing stars from birth to death

T2 - mass determination methods across the HRD

AU - Serenelli, Aldo

AU - Weiss, Achim

AU - Aerts, Conny

AU - Angelou, George C.

AU - Baroch, David

AU - Bastian, Nate

AU - Beck, Paul G.

AU - Bergemann, Maria

AU - Bestenlehner, Joachim M.

AU - Czekala, Ian

AU - Elias-Rosa, Nancy

AU - Escorza, Ana

AU - Van Eylen, Vincent

AU - Feuillet, Diane K.

AU - Gandolfi, Davide

AU - Gieles, Mark

AU - Girardi, Léo

AU - Lebreton, Yveline

AU - Lodieu, Nicolas

AU - Martig, Marie

AU - Miller Bertolami, Marcelo M.

AU - Mombarg, Joey S.G.

AU - Morales, Juan Carlos

AU - Moya, Andrés

AU - Nsamba, Benard

AU - Pavlovski, Krešimir

AU - Pedersen, May G.

AU - Ribas, Ignasi

AU - Schneider, Fabian R.N.

AU - Silva Aguirre, Victor

AU - Stassun, Keivan G.

AU - Tolstoy, Eline

AU - Tremblay, Pier Emmanuel

AU - Zwintz, Konstanze

N1 - Publisher Copyright: © 2021, The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany, part of Springer Nature. Copyright: Copyright 2021 Elsevier B.V., All rights reserved.

PY - 2021/12

Y1 - 2021/12

N2 - The mass of a star is the most fundamental parameter for its structure, evolution, and final fate. It is particularly important for any kind of stellar archaeology and characterization of exoplanets. There exist a variety of methods in astronomy to estimate or determine it. In this review we present a significant number of such methods, beginning with the most direct and model-independent approach using detached eclipsing binaries. We then move to more indirect and model-dependent methods, such as the quite commonly used isochrone or stellar track fitting. The arrival of quantitative asteroseismology has opened a completely new approach to determine stellar masses and to complement and improve the accuracy of other methods. We include methods for different evolutionary stages, from the pre-main sequence to evolved (super)giants and final remnants. For all methods uncertainties and restrictions will be discussed. We provide lists of altogether more than 200 benchmark stars with relative mass accuracies between [0.3 , 2] % for the covered mass range of M∈[0.1,16]M⊙, 75 % of which are stars burning hydrogen in their core and the other 25 % covering all other evolved stages. We close with a recommendation how to combine various methods to arrive at a “mass-ladder” for stars.

AB - The mass of a star is the most fundamental parameter for its structure, evolution, and final fate. It is particularly important for any kind of stellar archaeology and characterization of exoplanets. There exist a variety of methods in astronomy to estimate or determine it. In this review we present a significant number of such methods, beginning with the most direct and model-independent approach using detached eclipsing binaries. We then move to more indirect and model-dependent methods, such as the quite commonly used isochrone or stellar track fitting. The arrival of quantitative asteroseismology has opened a completely new approach to determine stellar masses and to complement and improve the accuracy of other methods. We include methods for different evolutionary stages, from the pre-main sequence to evolved (super)giants and final remnants. For all methods uncertainties and restrictions will be discussed. We provide lists of altogether more than 200 benchmark stars with relative mass accuracies between [0.3 , 2] % for the covered mass range of M∈[0.1,16]M⊙, 75 % of which are stars burning hydrogen in their core and the other 25 % covering all other evolved stages. We close with a recommendation how to combine various methods to arrive at a “mass-ladder” for stars.

KW - Asteroseismology

KW - Galaxy: stellar content

KW - Methods: numerical

KW - Stars: binaries: eclipsing

KW - Stars: evolution

KW - Stars: fundamental parameters

KW - Stars: planetary systems

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85106966497&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s00159-021-00132-9

DO - 10.1007/s00159-021-00132-9

M3 - Review

AN - SCOPUS:85106966497

VL - 29

JO - Astronomy and Astrophysics Review

JF - Astronomy and Astrophysics Review

SN - 0935-4956

IS - 1

M1 - 4

ER -