Major differences in the use of protocols for dispatcher-assisted cardiopulmonary resuscitation among ILCOR member countries

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskrift/Konferencebidrag i tidsskrift /Bidrag til avisTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review


Introduction and Purpose: Dispatcher-assisted cardiopulmonary resuscitation (DA-CPR) increases the rate of bystander cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). DA-CPR is recommended by resuscitation councils globally and it has been shown that the general public expects to receive pre-arrival instructions while waiting for help. A scientific advisory from the American Heart Association identifies standardized and structured DA-CPR protocols as important to increase bystander CPR rates. This study aims to investigate whether different International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR) member countries use DA-CPR protocols and to compare protocol contents between countries. Methods: All resuscitation councils forming ILCOR were inquired by email to provide a copy of their DA-CPR protocol, and to state whether this protocol was used by all emergency dispatch centers in their country. The collected protocols were translated into English, and content was compared. Results: A total of 60 countries were contacted (response rate: 83%). Of these, 46% stated to have a nationwide protocol, 30% reported to use local protocols, and 24% did not use a protocol. Overall, 54% provided a copy of their protocol. All translated protocols asked the rescuer to check for responsiveness and breathing, 35% to activate phone speaker function, half contained notes about agonal breathing and 59% included notes about integrating an automated external defibrillator. Conclusion: Almost one quarter of ILCOR member countries did not use a protocol for DA-CPR. Half of the protocols included notes about agonal breathing. Activation of phone speaker function and protocolled encouragements during CPR were rarely included.

TidsskriftOpen Access Emergency Medicine
Sider (fra-til)67-71
Antal sider5
StatusUdgivet - 2020

Se relationer på Aarhus Universitet Citationsformater

ID: 186538326