Aarhus University Seal / Aarhus Universitets segl

Tofuko Awori Woyengo

Ileal digestibility of amino acids in pea protein isolates, wheat-corn distillers dried grains with solubles, and short-season corn fed to broiler chicks

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskrift/Konferencebidrag i tidsskrift /Bidrag til avisTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

DOI

  • N. K. Nandha, University of Manitoba
  • ,
  • T A Woyengo
  • R. L. Payne, Evonik Industries
  • ,
  • C. M. Nyachoti, University of Manitoba

The apparent ileal digestibility (AID) of amino acids (AA) in 4 pea protein isolates [PPI; experiment (Exp.) 1], 5 wheat-and corn-derived distillers grains with solubles (wcDDGS; Exp. 2), and 5 short-season corn (Exp. 3) samples for broiler chickens were determined. In addition, a reference wheat sample was included in each experiment to measure the repeatability of the ileal digestibility assay used. Birds (n = 180 for Exp. 1 and n = 216 for Exp. 2 or 3) were fed test diets from d 15 to 21 of age. Reference wheat and PPI were included in test diets at 91. 7 and 25%, respectively, as the sole source of AA, whereas wcDDGS and corn were combined with wheat in test diets at 47. 7% test ingredient (wcDDGS or corn) and 51% wheat as the sources of AA. Chromic oxide at 0. 3% was added in all diets as the indigestible marker. Each test diet was randomly assigned to 6 cages of 6 male birds each. On d 21, birds were killed and ileal digesta were collected to determine the AID of AA. The mean AID values for indispensable AA ranged from 86. 0% (Thr) to 94. 7% (Arg) for PPI, 50. 7% (Lys) to 79. 8% (Leu) for wcDDGS, and 73. 9% (Thr) to 95. 3% (Arg) for corn. Overall, the CV range for AID of AA was widest for wcDDGS (8. 1% for Met to 29. 4% for Lys) followed by corn (3. 0% for Met to 10. 7% for Thr) and then PPI (2. 7% for Lys to 6. 1% for Thr). For wcDDGS and corn, the within-sample variation (assay condition) was more than between-sample variation (feed differences), whereas the reverse was true for PPI. No differences were detected in the AID of CP and AA for reference wheat among experiments.

OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftPoultry Science
Vol/bind92
Nummer1
Sider (fra-til)184-191
Antal sider8
ISSN0032-5791
DOI
StatusUdgivet - 2013
Eksternt udgivetJa

Bibliografisk note

Copyright:
Copyright 2021 Elsevier B.V., All rights reserved.

Se relationer på Aarhus Universitet Citationsformater

ID: 219386674