Born 18 March 1935, in Copenhagen. Married 1956. Number of children: 3.
Education and positions
• Mag. scient. in mathematics and mathematical statistics from Aarhus University, June 1960; 1954-1958 part-time employment at Department of Biostatistics, the Danish State Serum Institute 1958-1959; teaching assistant and 1959-1960 scientific assistant in mathematical statistics at University of Copenhagen; Since 1 July 1960 affiliated with Institute of Mathematics, now Department of Mathematical Sciences, Aarhus University; first as amanuensis and lektor (assistant professor); from 1 November 1965 as afdelingsleder and lektor (associate professor); and from 1 August 1973 as Professor.
• 1962-1963 and 1963-1964 stays at University of Minnesota and Stanford University.
Various Professional Data
• Sc.D. from University of Copenhagen, July 1973; Member of the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters; Member of Academia Europaea (M.A.E.); Corresponding Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (CorrFRSE); Honorary Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society; Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics; Honorary Member of the Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics; Honorary Member of the International Statistical Institute.
• Former Chairman of European Regional Committee of the Bernoulli Society. Former member of Council of the Bernoulli Society, of Council of the Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics, of Council of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, and of the Council of the International Statistical Institute.
• President, Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability, 1993-1995.
• Chairman of ERCOM (European Research Centres on Mathematics) under EMS (Eu-ropean Mathematical Society), 1997-2002.
• Editor of International Statistical Review 1980-1987; Member of the Editorial Board of Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 1974-1985; Associate Editor of Annals of Statistics 1992-1994; Editor-in-Chief of Bernoulli 1994-2000. Member of the Editorial Board of JEMS (Journal of the European Mathematical Society) 1998-.
• Member of Scientific Advisory Board for Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach 2006-2007.
• Organiser/Coorganiser of numerous international conferences in the mathematical sciences.
• August 1974-February 1975 Overseas Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge, and visitor at Statistical Laboratory, Cambridge University. April 1990 visiting Japan under Fellowship from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
• Invited lecturer/visitor at universities in Europe, Australia, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, North America, and at international meetings; including Forum Lectures, 14. European Meeting of Statisticians, Wroclaw, 1981; Hotelling Lectures, University of North Carolina, 1982; Rietz Lecture, Joint Statistical Meetings — ASA, Biometric Soc., IMS. San Francisco, 1993.
• Dr. Honoris Causa, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse. June 1993; Dr. Honoris Causa, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. April 1999.
• Scientiﬁc Director, MaPhySto (Centre for Mathematical Physics and Stochastics). Funded by The Danish National Research Foundation. 1998-2003.
• Humboldt-Forschungspreis 2001.
• Affiliated to Institute of Advanced Studies, Technical University Munich, since 2008.
• Faculty Price 2010 from Faculty of Science, Aarhus University.